Sunday 19 February 2012

Perlette Options.

This is a young Perlette in the polytunnel with cuttings of Kyoho grape and Oberlin 595.

Perlette is a highly recommended quality seedless grape. It produces early inside with delicious white grapes. It is said that it is liable for the berries to split somewhat near ripening though we will see if that is the case with this vine. It made enough pencil thick wood last year for me to leave a short spur when I pruned it. This may give me the option of letting it bear one bunch, or a half bunch, this year. Of course I can also decide not to let it fruit at all to concentrate its efforts into growing stronger before I allow fruit to form. It's a matter of keeping my options open.



Kyoho is probably the largest grape bearing variety that there is. The individual berries are huge, like small plums. The japanese rate them as one of the most highly prized dessert fruits. They cannot be ripened outside in this country so one will be planted in the lean to conservatory. I have four cuttings so at least one should grow.

This shows how large Kyoho grapes are.



I also have four cuttings of Oberlin 595. This variety bears small black grapes that hang down in a straight cylinder shape. What they lack in size, though, they make up for in flavour. On their own they can make an excellent beaujolais style wine or can be used with good effect in a blend. They ripen early and consistently too.

No comments:

Post a Comment