Tuesday 14 February 2012

Superior Seedless By Name....

The second of the polytunnel grape vines is a commercial seedless variety called Superior Seedless though I have seen it also referred as SugarOne. Even though many of the grapes I grow are good quality this variety is regarded as superb quality. It will be great if that was borne out next year when I may allow a grape bunch to form, if only to test the hype surrounding it. For this year it will be all about getting as much strong growth as possible.



Behind are cuttings of two black varieties, Agat Donski and Cabernet Cortis.

Agat Donski is an extra early variety, september ripening, perfect for northern, short season climates. The fruit is good size and dual purpose so they make excellent desert fruit or made into wine. I think it is a variety even scottish growers could grow reliably. Below is a picture of ripe Agat Donski grapes.



Cabernet Cortis is causing quite a sensation in the UK as it is a variety that not only has Cabernet Sauvugnon as one of its parents but gives a cabernet style wine. Because of that it is being planted in increasing numbers here. I plan eventually to blend the Cabernet Cortis grapes with the Cabernet Sauvugnon ones in the greenhouse to make a more authentic cabernet wine.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know where I could buy a Agat
    Donski vine in the UK?
    I too am rather obsessed about growing grapes and I don't want to be limited to German vinifera and American hybrids. I've looked to other places with cool summers and I think we need to be looking more seriously at Eastern European varieties. I suspect many of the Russian one's will be hybrids with amurensis.

    I currently have a Muller-Thurgau vine but want other multiple use varieties as well. I'm not interested in making wine.

    ReplyDelete